Located in the Colombian Caribbean region, Cartagena de Indias is the most important tourist destination in the country. For your strategic location, the city was the main port of America for the Spanish Empire during the colonial era, as well as a haven for treasures and riches. For this reason, the city had to be protected against attacks by pirates with fortifications and walls, which can still be appreciated today and which earned it its recognition as a Historical and Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in the year 1984.
The vestiges of colonial and republican architecture can be appreciated in the streets of the Historical Center and the Getsemani zone. In the same way, the city has given way to modernity with innovative constructions, generating a unique contrast, which has allowed the mixing of different cultures.
The city offers diversity of plans with its 11 km of beaches and an archipelago of nearby islands, ideal to enjoy the breeze, the sun and all kinds of water sports; A lot of streets, alleys and walls waiting to be explored, squares and parks in which you can feel and live the mixture of cultures between Cartagena and visitors, natural scenes, among other spaces that will make you understand why the city is considered as the Cradle of magical realism, and where his people will wait for him with extended arms.
With information from http://www.cartagenadeindias.travel/?la=en&/heroica
- Population: 955,250
- Extension: 709 km2 (274 mi2)
- Sea level: 2 m (6,6 ft)
- Average temperature (all year): 28 °C / 82.4 °F
- Economic activities: Industry, trade, tourism
- Access: land, air, sea
Rafael Núñez International Airport
- The international airport of Cartagena de Indias is one of the most important in Colombia. It has international flights from America and Europe. More than 3,8 million passengers transited it in 2015.
- It is located within the urban area of Cartagena de Indias north of the downtown, in the neighborhood of Crespo. Buses, minibuses and taxis connect to the airport with the different urban sectors of the city of Cartagena de Indias. The taxi service operates 24 hours, while the bus service from 06:50 to 23:45 hours.
- There are car rental desks from the most recognized companies. The airport also offers ATMs, currency exchange, public telephones, Wi-Fi Internet access and other services.